Monday, March 22, 2010

Can You See ME Now?

Have you ever looked at the word of God as a mirror? The mirror? If you have then that's a good thing. But my next question is who do you see? Do you see yourself in this word at all? Is God showing you who you are? Is your life a true reflection of the mirror? If you are looking for "you" in that mirror and you see you, then you aren't seeing who God wants you to see in His mirror.

In John 5:39, Jesus says that the scriptures "testify" of Him. The true image/reflection in the mirror of God's word that we should be hoping to see is the image of Jesus. After all, the Bible says in Galatians 2:20, "it is no longer I who lives but Christ who dwells in me." However, we live in a culture that promotes the "kingdom of ME." Everything is about ME. This worldly attitude is so common that we don't even question it at all. It's supposed to be about ME. So common that it has infiltrated and influenced the church. The way we approach most things even here is about ME. The worship music has to fit MY style. The preaching style has to get my approval, no matter the truth that's actually being taught. The time, no matter how short or efficient it really is, has to fit MY schedule. Even leaders in the church are more focused on their ministry than the ministry that God wants to do through them. Ministry is a career choice and people are looking for promotions. So naturally with this mindset I am going to look in the mirror of God's word and search for ME.

When we read a biography about a famous person we get excited because we are getting a chance to know someone we otherwise would never have met. We don't read the book just for entertainment value or to compare ourselves to them, our lives to theirs. We read simply to get a peek into this person's life and learn about who they are. The point I'm trying to make here is that we are supposed to dive into God's word searching for Jesus. The point of the word is to bring us into relationship with the Creator since it is His self-revelation. He has spoken His truth about His Son, who is the physical image of the invisible God (Colossians 1:15), and He desires that we know Him. When we know Him, we know God. But I'll never know God if I look for ME in the scriptures. Sure we are to find out how the word practically applies to our lives, and we are see how we measure up to the word daily, but that's not the end goal. The end goal is to know Jesus. To know Him relationally. To have intimate unique knowledge of who Jesus really is. That is eternal life (John 17:3). That is what's transforming.

I get so frustrated when people say the Bible is a "book of instructions on how to do life." Yes, it instructs us for a purpose as 2 Timothy 3:16, 17 says, but it is more than that. It is life itself. Jesus is life. When a person searches the scriptures for the sole purpose of knowing Jesus, not just to know a verse to quote and flaunt in people's faces, they have access to transformation. When I respond to the person that I now know more intimately in Jesus Christ, I give room for transformation to happen. The more I know Him, the more I respond, the more I am transformed. Too many people are trying to respond to just the words and do the thing it says. We are to respond to who Jesus is. Just like we respond when we fall in love with someone, or when we meet a celebrity that we like and we act with such awe and admiration.

As I respond to Jesus from knowing Him in His word, then Galatians 2:20 comes into play. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who dwells in me. So now the other part of looking in this mirror is that I do not see me. I don't look for me (I look for Jesus) in the word, and I don't see me (I should see Jesus) in my life. If I see Jesus, I am more secure in who I am in Christ (Philippians 4:13). If I see Jesus, I don't fear (Luke 9:1, 2 Timothy 1:7). If I see Jesus, I have died to myself and I don't live for me any longer. If I see Jesus, I am living for holiness (Hebrews 12:14). If I see Jesus, I don't want to compromise. If I see Jesus, then I see the work that God has done in my life. If I recognize God's work then I will praise Him according to my heart of gratitude and not the style of music of being played at church, or anything else that satisfies ME. If I see Jesus and respond to His work in my life, then I am available for transformation now and not on my own terms. All because I see Jesus in the mirror and not ME.

God is asking us every time we get in front of the mirror, "can you see ME now?" Do you see Jesus in the scriptures when you approach the word? Do others see Jesus when they see you? Behind closed doors is it Jesus or you?
Who's asking the question "can you see ME now? You or God?

No comments:

Post a Comment